- Ron DeSantis’ administration admitted it was behind the migrant relocation flights to California.
- Until now the Florida governor and 2024 president candidate has been mum about the trips.
- The agency behind the program shared an edited video of the migrants celebrating a trip.
The Florida governor’s office admitted on Tuesday that it was behind the recent migrant relocation flights to California. Until now, DeSantis and his administration had been mum about the trips.
The flights, which began in April, have transported hundreds of migrants from Florida to California. The migrants are being sent to California under a Trump-era policy known as Title 42, which allows the government to expel migrants without giving them a chance to seek asylum.
DeSantis’ office said that the flights were a way to “relieve the burden” on Florida’s resources. The governor has repeatedly criticized California’s policies on immigration and homelessness.
The California governor’s office said that it was “deeply disappointed” by DeSantis’ decision to send migrants to the state. The office said that California is already struggling to deal with the influx of migrants and that DeSantis’ actions are “not only cruel, but also counterproductive.”
The flights have drawn criticism from both Democrats and Republicans. Some critics have said that DeSantis is using the migrants as a political pawn. Others have said that the flights are illegal and that DeSantis is violating the Constitution.
DeSantis has defended the flights, saying that they are legal and necessary. He has also said that he is not trying to score political points.
The flights are the latest in a series of clashes between DeSantis and California Governor Gavin Newsom. The two governors have been at odds over a number of issues, including immigration, COVID-19 restrictions, and taxes.
It is unclear how the flights will affect the relationship between DeSantis and Newsom. However, the flights have certainly added to the tension between the two governors.